Instagram’s new algorithm – how you can benefit!
That’s right, there’s been another update to Instagram’s algorithm. But don’t worry, we’ve summarised everything you need to know, so take a few minutes to find out how your business can benefit.
Once upon a time Instagram displayed posts in chronological order, but several algorithm changes later, there are now a number of factors that determine whether your posts will be at the top (or bottom) of your followers’ feeds.
So, what’s changed this time?
In April, it was revealed that the platform would be switching up the algorithm in an effort to boost original content, meaning reposts of others’ content wouldn’t be ranked highly.
Head of Instagram Adam Mosseri explained the new changes in a video posted to his account.
“Creators are incredibly important to the future of Instagram, and we want to make sure that they are successful and they’re getting all the credit they deserve,” he said.
For creators and marketers who put great thought and effort into creating original content, this is great news, your posts deserve to shine!
Instagram is one of the most accessible and powerful marketing tools for businesses, and Instagram’s dedication to rewarding original content means you have the opportunity to reach a wider audience.
With the algorithm favouring original, new content, users’ feeds won’t be clogged up with reposts or ‘aggregate’ accounts (which typically saturate feeds with viral videos, photos and memes from all over the internet), leaving more opportunities for your posts to perform.
Time to create!
So now you know how the algorithm has changed, are you ready to elevate your Instagram game? Here are our top tips for creating original content:
1. Research the market:
- What are your competitors posting?
- What posts are seeing the highest engagement?
- Are there any current trends in your industry?
2. Be authentic:
- Don’t waste your time trying to be something you’re not online, your followers will know!
- The best performing accounts are those who develop a strong and clear brand identity online
- If you’re stuck, think about how you would talk to your customers face-to-face. Use this as inspiration for your Instagram language and post topics
3. Create original content:
- Sharing ‘real-life’ insights into your business is the most engaging for your audience
- Pictures from your business, team photos and vlog-style videos are quick ways to build original content
- It doesn’t have to be time consuming – not all original content requires hours of brainstorming and editing
- Take advantage of free, user-friendly platforms like Canva to help elevate your content with your own creative spin
Here are some examples of original, authentic posts we have curated for our client, the Banana Bender Pub!
The use of AI means that the algorithm will only continue to strengthen. The best time to start practicing original posts is now! And rest assured, Instagram will continue refining and improving the algorithm to favour creators, businesses and entrepreneurs.
Are you ready to take your social presence to the next level? We’d love the opportunity to catch up. Contact us today to arrange a day and time to get down to business!